skip to Main Content

Wildlife Friends is still fighting charges after nemesis retires (AP)

From Animal People

From ANIMAL PEOPLE, October 2012:
(Actually published on November 1, 2012.)

Wildlife Friends is still fighting charges after nemesis retires

BANGKOK–Thailand Department of National Parks, Wildlife &
Plant Conserva-tion chief Damrong Phidet retired on September 31,
2012 after deploying 3,000 staff on July 28 to demolish nine resorts
that were allegedly illegally built within Thab Lan National Park in
Nakhon Ratchasimi; raiding 10 Phuket resorts on August 15 for
allegedly encroaching on Sirinath National Park; raising the
entrance fees by 150% at 29 of the 148 Thai national parks on August
23; revisiting the Phuket resorts, plus two more, on Sept-ember
25; and transferring several national park chiefs only weeks after
their appointment.
Amid all that, Damrong Phidet and five of his senior
officials were on August 22, 2012 called to face a Parliamentary
Committee on Law & Human Rights hearing in Bangkok, “to answer to
allegations and questions on abuse of power, selective enforcement,
slander and harassment filed by several groups, people and
companies, one of which was the Wildlife Friends Foundation of
Thailand,” posted Wildlife Friends founder Edwin Wiek to the WFFT
web site.
Wiek, his wife Jansaeng “Noi” Sangnanork, veterinarian
Chuthamas Moh Teui, and Roger Lohanan of the Thai Animal Guardians
testified against Damrong Phidet.
Wiek, who helped to lead disaster relief operations after
the 2005 Indian Ocean tsunami and the 2011 Bangkok flooding,
presented details of three recent cases in which wildlife disappeared
from allegedly unlicensed zoos in Sraburi province, Huahin city,
and on Phuket, after Wildlife Friends presented evidence of the
violations to Damrong Phidet’s administration. In each case
Department of National Parks investigators claimed to have found no
animals, but after Wildlife Friends followed up the Phuket case,
officials said 11 missing orangutans were “found along the highway”
between Phuket and Phang-nga.
Wiek first clashed with Damrong Phidet after 115 orangutans
were confiscated from the Safari World zoo in Bangkok in 2003, but
were not actually removed from the site. DNA testing found in 2004
that at least 72 of the orangutans had been smuggled from Indonesia.
Fifteen of the orangutans died in custody. Only 41 were repatriated
to Indonesia in 2006. Most of the rest vanished. Twenty-two turned
up performing kickboxing exhibitions in Cambodia. Five were loaned
to the Chiang Mai Night Safari Zoo, a scandal-plagued facility
politely described by Associated Press as “a project initiated by
[former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in his home town,” several
years before a military coup deposed him for alleged corruption.
“Night Safari has veterinarians and everything to take care
of them, so we lent them temporarily,” Damrong Phidet said.
Damrong Phidet meanwhile helped to send eight Thai elephants
to the Taronga and Melbourne zoos in Australia, in trade for 21
Australian animals, including kangaroos and koalas, for exhibit at
the Chiang Mai Night Safari Zoo. Friends of the Asian Elephant
founder Soraida Salwala alleged that the elephants were illegally
captured from the wild, but Damrong Phidet claimed they were born in
“elephant shelters.”
Wiek in a January 2012 op-ed column for the Bangkok Post
accused Damrong Phidet’s administration of trying to cover up the
killing of six wild elephants at the Kaeng Krachan and Kui Buri
national parks. Damrong Phidet alleged that the six elephants might
have been killed to obtain meat for wealthy visitors to Phuket
This, said Wiek, “might be looking away from the real
problem: the killing of elephants to take elephant babies from the
forests to be trained for tourism,” Wiek responded.
Elephant Nature Park founder Sang-duan Lek Chailert supported
Wiek’s charges. Alleging wildlife permit violations, Damrong
Phidet within days ordered eight separate raids on Wildlife Friends,
seizing 103 animals, and seized more animals in four raids on the
Elephant Nature Park. Then, under media scrutiny, Damrong Phidet
made a show of cracking down on elephant trafficking.
The raids on Wildlife Friends came just after the
organization started procedures to obtain a permit from the Thai
Livestock Department to operate an animal hospital. Wildlife Friends
passed the inspection to get the permit on March 22, 2012, and
received the permit on April 30, the Wildlife Friends web site said,
but on March 23, 2012, “an official of the Department of Livestock
entered the wildlife hospital without permission and photographed the
facility, then pressed charges against Jansaeng Sangnanork and the
foundation for illegally running an animal hospital.” The official
allegedly told Wiek that this was on orders of Damrong Phidet.
“The provincial prosecutor has told us not to worry about the
case in court,” Wildlife Friends posted on October 8, 2012, “but
he is under a lot of pressure to proceed. Noi has been summoned to
turn herself in on October 26 to be jailed in Petchaburi, but will
be allowed to file for bail the same day. Edwin will revoke his bail
to make it possible for Noi to be bailed out instead.”
Added Wildlife Friends on October 25, “All other issues have
now finally been dropped,” but as well as struggling to fund their
defense and their rescue work, Wiek and Jansaeng Sangnanork hoped to
help Chuthamas Moh Teui, who was arrested on October 21, 2012 “for
helping and treating the monkeys of Lopburi,” the posting concluded.

HQ Phone: (360)-579-2505
Fax: (360)-579-2575

All letters and documents to:
POB 960, Clinton, WA 98236

Back To Top